Friday, May 10, 2013

When Peeling A Sweet Potato ...


While peeling a sweet potato today I felt grateful for how easy our life is. It had me thinking of the tribes and the women in particular who live in less developed countries than us. In order for them to even get a yam (sweet potato) it would require a day spent searching and collecting them. As for peeling them they would use an axe or blade, or if really lucky a knife.

Being a woman in today's times we have it easy, yet its easy to forget. I vacuumed my floors today and as I did I felt the urge to complain constantly. I really dislike cleaning and it pains me every time I do it. I feel as though it’s not fair that I have to do it and that I’m the only one that ever does. I get in these moments regularly but occasionally I’ll look at this situation differently. I’ll pick up the vacuum cleaner and as I'm plugging it into the wall I'll realize just how miraculous it is that I’m able to do so.

Its in these moments I feel gratitude. Gratitude that I have it so easy and that all I ever need to do is locate my vacuum, plug it in and press a button. I barely even have to bend over. I find during these moments I rarely complain as I realise how different it could be and how blessed I actually am.

No comments:

Post a Comment