Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Faith Is Jumping From The Roof




After eating lunch today I noticed Ben (our cat) on our neighbours roof. He looked quite concerned which I’m guessing was because he no longer wanted to be on the roof and was unsure how to get off.  I watched as Ben looked down, then up, then to the fence. He looked at the fence and knew it was his only way of getting down. He had to jump from the roof down onto a fence which was an inch thick if that, much narrower than any of his paws.

I looked at Ben who was in a panic and I knew it was crunch time. He was going to jump. I watched on my heart beating as fast as his as he made the leap out into the air and onto the fence. He landed, then slipped and only by gripping the top of the fence with his two front paws was he able to pull himself onto the top of the fence to safety. He did it!

As I watched him do this I realized that there is an example of faith! That is faith. He leaped and jumped in the sheer hope that he would land safely on top of the fence. There were no guarantees, just faith (and probably some serious cat praying) that he would land right where he intended.
Faith is an attribute of all of us. It’s one that we probably don’t use all that often and keep on the sideline for emergencies.  What Ben showed me today is that sometimes we need to take that leap of faith and jump in order to land exactly where are suppose to. Yeah sure we may miss but we will never get anywhere in life clinging to the safety of a roof. 

I think it’s time I jump. I’ve been sitting on a roof for too long. I love safety, I have to know that I won’t fail or fall before I jump.  I need to trust that if I do fall someone (or at least a fence) will be there to catch me. Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment