Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mobile Phone vs A Conversation



I feel rude. I hate this feeling and I have sat here all afternoon thinking about it.

Let me explain....

I was at the shops earlier today with all my boys. All three of them. Three active young boys. I had my youngest in the stroller and I was rushing around trying to get all the items I needed, in as quick as time possible, and to avoid any destruction made by my two active older boys.

A sweet old lady stops me suddenly and begins to tell me how cute my youngest is and that I should take a photo of him holding the loaf of bread. My 10 month old at this point was eating the bread and ripping it apart. I had only given it to him to entertain him and keep him quiet (as us mothers do!).

Before I had a chance to thank the sweet lady my mobile phone rang. I answered it and that ended that. I ignored her and continued on walking with my phone to ear and begun my conversation.

Why did I do this?

What made my phone call more important?

What has happened to us as a society!

When have phone calls become more superior and important than human interaction?

I see it often people cutting short their conversation to pick up and answer a phone. I'm guilty of it too. However with the way I feel now I won't be doing that in future.

I have learnt from it. I can call that person on the phone back. There will even be a record of their call. But that lovely old lady at the shops?  Well I can never call her back ....

Today I have learnt.



No comments:

Post a Comment