Monday, April 29, 2013

Swallowing Your Pride



On the weekend I said some things I later regretted. I had a phone call with someone I love and I wasn’t supportive or loving, instead I spoke with anger and inflicted my own opinions onto them.

After I hung up I felt terrible. I guess I was filled with regret and remorse and wished I had handled it differently. In the past I would have sat on this feeling for days, perhaps even eventually convinced myself that the person deserved it and that I was right. In fact I may have even been right this time but that doesn’t change the way I felt in that moment. I had not treated this person with the respect they deserved so I had to fix it.

I wasn’t quite ready to speak with them again so I emailed them. I apologized and asked that they forgive me. They did, and not only did they forgive me but they asked for their own forgiveness. This showed me how opening ourselves up to others and admitting when we are wrong can lead to a better relationship.

It’s hard to admit when we are wrong and that we stepped out of line but what good does it serve if we don’t? The relationship is then the one that suffers. So I am grateful for this weekend’s lesson as I discovered that personal relationships are far more important than my own pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment