Thursday, April 18, 2013

Conditions on Love




Unconditional love is something a mother has for her child and something I'm personally working on, that is, to love unconditionally.

Not many of us do. We might think we do, but we don't.

The other day I realised how I was being very conditional in my love. As in most our relationships there are ups and downs. I had spent an entire weekend giving all my love,  I was being so loving, so kind and giving all of me to only have the love constantly rejected and pushed away. I was hurt. Really hurt.

So what did I do? I withdrew. I held back my love and went on with my day not showing any love for this person. Why? Because I wasn't getting any back.

It was later that I realised how conditional I was being. I was so obviously only loving them at the time to get something out of it myself. For them to be kind, helpful and loving back to me. But that isn't how love works and it was a huge lesson for me.

Love is something we give because its in us and we can't help but give it. It isn't something we trade for something in return. Love isn't currency, its a gift.

As a mother I love my children always despite their faults and how they treat me. I have been hit, yelled at, ignored and called many hurtful things by my chidlren yet I still love them. Always. Why because there is no conditions to my love for them.

Love should be this way. All love. Love for ourselves, neighbours, strangers, husbands and wives. Not only for our children.

This is one lesson I am still learning. To uncondition my conditions on my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment