Monday, February 11, 2013

The Judgements We Make.





I like to think of myself as a person who doesn't judge another. I like to think that I am not racist, sexist, ageist and all those other 'ists' that are out there. However the other day I learnt that I too am guilty of judging others based on their appearance.

 The other week I was in my local store and wanted to buy a bunch of flowers. I  walked past one bunch of flowers that were really really cheap and reduced for 'quick sale'. They were dying. No one was going to buy them not even me. They were wilted and had at most a day or two in them.

I went on to search for a better bunch of flowers. Some with more life and zest when I all of a sudden felt for them and their fate. I knew they would be binned and thrown away for good and never given the chance to shine.

I realised in this moment that I had judged them and labeled them no good. I had added to their fate by walking straight past them and leaving them to die. That is when I decided to give them a chance.

 I believed in them. I bought them there and then and told them I believed in them and that I would give them a chance. That I would give them a  home and somewhere for them to shine even if only for a day or two.

I took the bunch of flowers home and set them up on my little dining table in a beautiful vase. I gave them clean water daily, I admired them, I cared for them. I loved them. Well what happened next was incredible. They bloomed.

They not only bloomed but they regained all their life  and went onto live for another 2 weeks. My longest standing flowers yet.

Those flowers did so much more than just add colour to my home. They taught me two lessons about life.

  1. Never be so quick as to judge another based only on their appearance: and
  2. That if you give someone enough love, enough support and believe in them they too will flourish and shine just as my flowers did.

I honestly believe that flowers, trees and all life are connected. We are all one and in this life together.

We all coexist on this earth and share the same air, the same soil, the same sunlight and rain. So just as we would want someone to believe in and love us so do the plants, flowers, trees, birds and animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment