Thursday, February 14, 2013

Flower Or A Weed.


"The difference between a flower and a weed is only a judgement"

I remember the first time I heard that quote. It really struck a cord with me. We hear sayings and quotes all the time but there are always some over others that remain with you. That was one that did for me.

I loved it because it is so true. Something we call a 'weed' and remove from our gardens are only that because we say it is, or because we are told it is. To the eye of many it is still just as beautiful. Like my 4 year old for example.
 
The flower you see in the picture is a weed. A weed called Patersons Curse. It is also a flower that I am given on a regular basis from my 4 year old. He loves to pick me flowers and as we have no flowers in our garden and only weeds this is all he can pick. And every time he does he tells me how beautiful it is and that it is the prettiest purple flower in our garden.

 Isn't that just beautiful?  As an adult we would immediately label it saying 'oh he's picked some Patersons Curse' yet to him this flower has not yet formed a label. It is a flower like any other flower, it has petels, is brightly coloured and lives in gardens.

So much can be learnt from children. I love their purity, their freshness and outlook on life. They do not judge, they do not label.

When was the last time you called something a weed when in fact it was only a flower with a label? 

No comments:

Post a Comment