Monday, November 4, 2013

The Truth About The Melbourne Cup


Its Melbourne Cup time again in Australia. (Melbourne Cup is a national horse race that takes place every year in November). It has become a bit of a national icon and is celebrated by many; even those who aren’t into the races will watch the race and places bets. Including me. Until a few years ago….

I no longer participate, support or have anything to do with the Melbourne Cup or any other horse race. Let me tell you why.

It wasn’t until a few years ago that I finally saw these races for the truth that they are – unnatural and cruel.  To think of all the years I have placed bets on horses hoping to win some cash is upsetting. I never once thought about the horses. I never once thought of their pain. I only thought of me.

Its not the only time I thought only of me. My past is full of selfish ways but I am slowly changing all that. I am also changing how in the past I would follow everything. I would do what everyone else did just because they were doing it and it’s the ‘done thing’ or to be cool (and this included participating in the Melbourne Cup) I only participated because everyone else did and therefore I had to, too. Not anymore. 

Now I question everything. I don’t do something because everyone else is doing it I do something because I want to do it and because I believe in it. I questioned the Melbourne cup and why I participated and at first felt like a hypocrite. I only bet once a year and even then I didn’t know what I was doing. Just chose the horse who had the best name. How stupid. This then led me to look into further, to open my heart up to it and when I did and what I discovered was upsetting (I will spare you the details).

So this year I will not be supporting the Cup, though many will and it’s the many that do that keep the race and the cruelty it supports alive. I may not stop a nation but I can stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment