Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What Can I Do To Help?




I helped a lady today. I saw her get up from where she was sitting and struggle to walk. She was heading towards the supermarket where I was with my trolley and my youngest son. Seeing her made me stop. It made me realise how grateful I am to have my mobility and health.

Seeing her struggle to walk I wanted to help but didn’t know how. What can I do? I thought. I had no idea, so I asked her. I went up to her and said ‘Can I help you in any way?. Her whole face lit up. Ihad noticed, I had seen her. Someone cared. 

She asked me if I could get her a trolley and bring it to her which I did and she was ever so grateful. Couldn’t stop thanking me. I wanted to do more and would have done her whole shop for her if I could have.  So I all I could do was tell her how many of us take our mobility and health for granted and don’t realise how good we have it until we see another who isn’t quite as fortunate. And I thanked her. Telling her it was the least I could do (get her trolley).

I walked away thinking about how many others would have seen her yet did nothing. It thought about the me a few years ago who would have done the exact same thing. Nothing!

Why? I would have been too afraid to ask and offer help. Worried about what she would think or say and at the very bottom of it all, I would have thought she was capable on her own.

But what I have learnt is people want to be helped. People need to be helped and people appreciate being helped. We all need to pen our hearts a little more, to see the many that are struggling and to stop and ask ourselves ‘what can I do to help?’….

No comments:

Post a Comment