Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Love Is. Broken Beads.




In the above photo is a gift I was given today. I want to tell you more about this gift and why its so special. I receive many of these ‘gifts’ all as unique and all just as special…

As some of you may know I visit an elderly lady weekly. I met her through a Red Cross Volunteer scheme and what a blessing it has been. It fills me with so much joy and the friendships I have since made are nothing but treasures.

Today I visited Olga again and shortly before leaving she dug into her bag and pulled out an old vicks container full of beads, many broken, and many covered in food.  Before this moment she had asked me if I liked craft and if I did then she had a gift for me. I’m not overly keen on craft but said I did as I knew how much it filled her with joy to give me a gift. So I accepted the gift. 

She often gives me these ‘useless items’,  a watch with only half its face, a calendar from 1992 and once she tried to give me an old lamp but due to its size (and the fact I wasn’t quite sure where it came from … did she steal it?) I declined. The one and only time I declined.

I always accept her gifts. Always. I always accept them because I know it’s her way of saying thank you. I know that as she has hardly no money and never leaves her nursing home she has very little to gift. I know that each time she gifts me with one of her ‘treasures’ she is really gifting me with little pieces of her heart. And I know that every time I accept her gifts it’s my way of saying you’re welcome, and you have a special place in my heart too. 

Love comes in many forms. Broken beads with food stuck on them included.

No comments:

Post a Comment