Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Favourites


I thought I’d share something I’ve been doing with my kids now for a while. It’s a bedtime ritual we call “Favorites”. Previously I would read a book as I tucked them into bed or tell them a made up story. However one night (about the time I officially started recording my own gratefuls ) I started telling them my favourite thing that happened that day. What had made me happy and what I loved most about the day.

It has since become a nightly occurrence in this house and a must. My boys will not go to sleep without hearing my favourite and sharing theirs. I remember originally doing this one night because I wanted to send my boys off to sleep with happy thoughts so their dreams would be pleasant. However it has since become more than that.

My favourites must always involve them and I now find myself consciously looking out for what will be that night’s favourite. As it’s normally something we do together, if I am unable to think of something I realize that I clearly haven’t spent enough time with them. And when it’s something they have done (such as good behavior or a kind act) it has me focused on the good in them rather than the bad I would usually see, and I have found that I now notice it more.

I absolutely love that we do this and think it’s one of the best things I have incorporated (even if by accident) into our family. It is something that has changed the lives of us all and I’m certain that it has been for the better

No comments:

Post a Comment