Friday, June 7, 2013

Ears and Hearts.

Last night I watched this video posted on facebook.


It touched me quite deeply and I spent my evening thinking about it, mostly through tears.

I  wasn't sure what it was that upset me so much about this video. The boy, Christian, was so obviously loved happy and healthy so it wasn't that. I tried to figure out what it was that was upsetting me and I realised, I felt sorry for him.

I felt sorry that he has to live his life this way and throughout his life be at the receiving end of cruel remarks and jokes. Then I remembered he is blind and will never see his own face and will never see the face of another to compare his to.

This made me realise something profound. As he will never see his own face or be able to compare his to another it is unlikely that he will ever judge another person because he is blind.

So many of our judgements and criticisms are over the way people look, act and do things. To a blind person we are all beautiful. How much kinder of a world would it be if we were all blind and loved each other with our ears and hearts.

I do not in any way take my eyesight for granted or wish I were blind, but it is our eyes that judge not our hearts. That is what I learnt last night. So as sad as I was for young Christian I realised that in his eyes he is as beautiful as you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment